Demonstration Alert – U.S. Embassy Montevideo, Uruguay
October 19, 2023
Location: Announced gathering points include, but are not limited to, the following locations in Montevideo, Uruguay:
- Plaza Libertad
- 18 de Julio Avenue
- Torre Ejecutiva, downtown Montevideo
Event: A demonstration is expected to take place on October 20, 2023, beginning at 6:00 p.m. The group Plenaria Memoria y Justica intends to protest in support of Palestine. The demonstration will begin at 6:00 PM from Plaza Libertad, move along 18 de Julio Ave., and end at the Torre Ejecutiva in downtown Montevideo. U.S. government personnel and U.S. citizens are advised to avoid the area of the demonstration and the downtown area of Montevideo on October 20, 2023, from 5:00 p.m. until 10:00 p.m.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid the area where the demonstration is taking place.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Exercise caution if unexpectedly in the vicinity of large gatherings or protests.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Keep a low profile.
U.S. Embassy Montevideo, Uruguay
Lauro Müller 1776, Montevideo, Uruguay
(+598 2) 1770-2000
State Department – Consular Affairs 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444