Updated: May 4, 2023
Update on Change to U.S. Travel Policy Requiring COVID-19 Vaccination for Nonimmigrant Travel
The Biden-Harris Administration will end the COVID-19 vaccine requirements for international air travelers at the end of the day on May 11, 2023, the same day that the COVID-19 public health emergency ends. This means starting May 12, 2023, noncitizen nonimmigrant air passengers will no longer need to show proof of being fully vaccinated with an accepted COVID-19 vaccine to board a flight to the United States.
Visit The White House website for more details.
Entry and Exit Requirements
- Are there COVID-related entry requirements for U.S. citizens? No
- For the latest information on traveling to Uruguay please visit the following links from the Ministry of Public Health website: Requirements to Travel to Uruguay (available only in Spanish).
- Is a negative COVID-19 test (PCR and/or serology) required for entry? No
- As of February 16, 2023, no COVID test or proof of vaccination is required.
- Are health screening procedures in place at airports and other ports of entry? Yes
- Proof of health insurance effective in Uruguay for the duration of your stay is required for all foreign travelers entering Uruguay.
- If foreign visitors require an extension of stay, they can process it at the Dirección Nacional de Migración office, at the airport, or at any of their other official departmental offices.
- Are U.S. citizens required to quarantine? No
- Quarantine is no longer required for visitors. The government continues to recommend all visitors use good health and safety precautions in all settings.
- PCR and/or antigen tests are available for U.S. citizens in Uruguay, with test results reliably available within one calendar day.
- A list of PCR labs approved for use by the Uruguayan government, and contact information are available in PDF form here: List of approved PCR Labs, Uruguay
- Labs will send PCR test results via email.
- PCR tests range in price from around $40 to $150 USD.
COVID-19 Vaccine Information
- Are vaccines available in Uruguay for U.S. citizens to receive? Yes
- According to local authorities, Pfizer BioNtech vaccines are available in Uruguay.
- Individuals can find a list of vaccination centers (vacunatorios) on the official Uruguayan government website (https://www.gub.uy/uruguaysevacuna). Vaccines are available for non-residents. Individuals will be required to provide a valid form of identification.
- Visit the FDA’s website to learn more about FDA-approved vaccines in the United States.