U.S. Embassy Montevideo, Uruguay
Message to U.S. Citizens: Demonstration Alert
August 20, 2018
Location: Throughout the city of Montevideo, Uruguay
Event: General Strike on August 22, 2018
Local media reports there will be a general strike on Wednesday, August 22, 2018 that is expected to affect transportation services and local business operations. Closures are expected to affect all but essential services in the city. Transportation services, including bus lines and taxis, will be affected starting the evening of Tuesday, August 21, 2018 and are expected to return to normal operating schedules on the evening of Wednesday, August 22, 2018.
The U.S. Embassy will be open during regular business hours and will provide all scheduled services.
Medical services will be available for emergencies only. Uruguayan Public Primary, Secondary, and Tertiary schools will be closed.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid the areas of any potential demonstrations.
- Exercise caution if unexpectedly in the vicinity of large gatherings or protests.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Keep a low profile.
For further information:
- See the State Department’s travel website for safety and security information and Country Specific Information for Uruguay.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Contact the U.S. Embassy in Uruguay, located at Lauro Müller 1776, Montevideo, Uruguay, at (+598 2) 1770-2000. The after-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is (+598 2) 1770-2000.