U.S. Embassy Montevideo, Uruguay
Message to U.S. Citizens: G20 Summit Demonstrations
November 29, 2018
Location: Plaza Libertad in Barrio Centro, Montevideo
Event: On Thursday, November 29 at 6:30 p.m. and Friday, November 30 at 6:00 p.m., demonstrations are planned at Plaza Libertad against the G20 summit in Buenos Aires and the related presence of U.S. forces in Uruguay. Protestors may also conduct a march, although there are no details about possible march routes. There are currently no indications that the gatherings will turn violent; however, U.S. citizens are advised to avoid the area as a precautionary measure.
Actions to Take:
- Maintain situational awareness and be aware of your surroundings
- Monitor local media sources for updates
- Follow instructions of local police authorities
- Use caution when walking or driving near Plaza Libertad or Barrio Centro
For further information:
- See the State Department’s travel website for safety and security information and Country Specific Information for Uruguay.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Contact the U.S. Embassy in Uruguay, located at Lauro Müller 1776, Montevideo, Uruguay, at (+598 2) 1770-2000. The after-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is (+598 2) 1770-2000.