U.S. Embassy Montevideo, Uruguay
Message to U.S. Citizens: Security Alert
September 27, 2018
Location: Montevideo, Uruguay
- Punta Carretas
- Avenida 18thde Julio
The U.S. Embassy in Montevideo advises U.S. citizens to avoid traveling on the Rambla in Pocitos, Punta Carretas and on Avenida 18 de Julio tonight due to soccer club celebrations that may become violent. There may be an increased police presence in the area and roads may be blocked.
Actions to Take
- Maintain situational awareness and be aware of your surroundings
- Monitor local media sources for updates
- Follow instructions of local police authorities
- Use caution when walking or driving in the listed areas
For further information:
- See the State Department’s travel website for safety and security information and Country Specific Information for Uruguay.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Contact the U.S. Embassy in Uruguay, located at Lauro Müller 1776, Montevideo, Uruguay, at (+598 2) 1770-2000. The after-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is (+598 2) 1770-2000.
- Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.