United States Embassy Montevideo, Uruguay
Security Message for U.S. Citizens: Gathering in Parque Batlle and Vicinity
November 15, 2017
From Thursday, November 16, to Saturday, November 18, 2017, the PIT-CNT and the Coordinadora de Centrales Sindicales del Cono Sur (Coordinator of Trade Unions of the Southern Cone), will hold a Jornada Continental por la Democracia y contra el Neoliberalismo (Continental Conference for Democracy and Against Neoliberalism) at the Velódromo Municipal de Montevideo, located in Parque Batlle. It is estimated up to 3,000 participants could attend.
The conference will open with a march on Thursday, November 16 at 9:00 a.m. The march is planned to begin at the University of the Republic on 18 de Julio, move to the Obelisk on Bulevar General Artigas, along Lord Ponsonby and Dr. Luis Morquio, and end at Parque Batlle.
Heavy traffic and delays are expected near the Parque Batlle area for the duration of the event, specifically on Avenida Dr. Americo Ricaidoni. The U.S. Embassy recommends U.S. citizens seek alternate routes for destinations in the area of Parque Batlle.
The U.S. Embassy advises U.S. citizens to remain alert and informed via local news sources regarding events. You should exercise caution if in the vicinity of any large gatherings, review your personal security plans and remain aware of your surroundings.
Even demonstrations intended to be peaceful can turn confrontational and escalate into violence. You should avoid areas of demonstrations, and exercise caution if in the vicinity of any large gatherings, protests, or demonstrations.
For further information:
- See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and Country Specific Information for Uruguay.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Contact the U.S. Embassy in Uruguay, located at Lauro Müller 1776, Montevideo, Uruguay, at (+598 2) 1770-2000. The after-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is (+598 2) 1770-2311.
- Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.