The government of Uruguay has implemented measures to limit the spread of COVID-19. All international passenger flights are suspended as of March 23, 2020.
We are considering all options to assist U.S. citizens in Uruguay. Continue to monitor the U.S. Embassy’s website https://uy.usembassy.gov/ for updates.
Please email MontevideoACS@state.gov if you have an urgent need to depart and would be interested in options to leave if they become available. For each member of your group, please include: (1) name as it appears on passport, (2) date of birth, (3) U.S. passport number, (4) telephone number and WhatsApp number, (5) current location, and (6) special medical or other considerations.
All U.S. citizens in Uruguay should continue to prepare by ensuring they have sufficient food, medicine, and supplies should they need to remain in Uruguay for an extended period of time.
On March 14, the Department of State authorized the departure from any diplomatic or consular post in the world of US personnel and family members who have been medically determined to be at higher risk of a poor outcome if exposed to COVID-19.
U.S. Embassy Montevideo has suspended routine consular services. For emergency American Citizens Services, including emergency passports, please visit our website for additional information https://uy.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/ or send an email to MontevideoACS@state.gov. For emergency visa services, send an email to MontevideoVisas@state.gov.
Actions to Take:
- Email MontevideoACS@state.gov if you would be interested in departing Uruguay if an option becomes available and enroll in the Department of State’s Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) so that the embassy can contact you with updated information.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19, please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information. Check with your airlines, cruise lines, or travel operators regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 https://uy.usembassy.gov/covid-19-information/ for information on conditions in Uruguay.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the United States