The birth of a child abroad to a U.S. Citizen Parent(s) should be reported as soon as possible so that a Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA) can be issued as an official record of the child’s U.S. citizenship.

Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA)

A CRBA application can only be processed in the American Citizen Services Unit in the country where the child was born while the child is under age 18. To qualify, at least one of the parents must have been a U.S. citizen on the date of the child’s birth and must meet U.S. physical presence requirements.

For children born to two U.S. citizen married parents, one of the parents must demonstrate residence in the U.S. prior to the child’s birth. For children born after November 13, 1986 to a US citizen parent married to a non-US citizen parent, the U.S. citizen parent must have resided in the United States at least for 5 years (at least two years after the age of 14) before the child was born.

Requirements for children born at other times or to unmarried parents are described here.


Applications for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad are accepted by appointment only for the U.S. Embassy in Montevideo. Please review the document requirements below before making an appointment.


At the time of the appointment, the parents and child must appear in person and present the following:

  1. Form DS-2029 (PDF, 64kb) (Application for Consular Report of Birth Abroad) completed but not signed
  2. Non-refundable application fee of $100 USD. Fees are payable in cash (U.S. dollars or Uruguayan pesos) or by credit card at the U.S. Embassy. Checks and debit cards are not accepted.
  3. Parent’s or parents’ proof of identity and citizenship.
  4. Child’s Uruguayan birth certificate.
  5. Proof of physical presence of the U.S. citizen parent(s) in the United States sufficient to demonstrate the Required Time Period (tax, medical, education records, etc.);
  6. Parents’ Marriage/Divorce Certificate(s):
  • If parents are married, please provide an original or certified copy of the marriage certificate.
  • If the parents were not married to each other at the time of child’s conception, please provide proof of the existence of the relationship at that time.

Regardless of whether the parents were married to each other at the time of the child’s conception and birth, both parents should also provide divorce or annulment certificates for any prior marriages.

Passport Application

The Embassy encourages applicants to apply for a CRBA and passport at the same time, because Consular Report of Birth Abroad is not a travel document. A passport application (requiring a completed but not signed DS-11 form with one 5 cm x 5 cm color photo with a white background as well as an additional fee of $105) for the same child will be accepted at the CRBA appointment (no need to make an additional appointment).

Social Security Number Application

The Embassy also encourages parents to apply for their child’s Social Security card at the same time as applying for their child’s first passport.

Please complete Form SS-5 (Application for Social Security number) (PDF, 132kb) prior to the interview and turn it in at that time.

Since a copy of the child’s passport is required to support the application, we will keep the application and add a copy of the passport once the passport is received from the U.S. and then send off the complete application package to the Social Security Administration.

Note that the anticipated timeline for receiving the child’s social security card is 6-8 months.

Note that the issued Social Security Card is mailed to the address you list on the SS-5 application.

If you have an address in the US, please list it on the application to ensure efficient delivery.