The birth of a child abroad to a U.S. citizen parent should be reported as soon as possible so that a Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA) can be issued as an official record of the child’s U.S. citizenship.

A CRBA application can only be processed in the American Citizen Services Unit in the country where the child was born before the child turns 18.

To qualify to transmit citizenship, at least one of the parents must have been a U.S. citizen on the date of the child’s birth and must meet U.S. physical presence requirements.

Before coming to your CRBA application appointment, please make sure you have all of the documents needed, as described in the document checklist for CRBA applications.

At the U.S. Embassy in Montevideo, applications for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad are only accepted with an appointment previously scheduled using our Online appointment scheduling system.

Please review the document requirements below before scheduling an appointment.

At the time of the appointment, both parents and the child must appear in person and present the following:

  1. Form DS-2029 (PDF, 64kb) (Application for Consular Report of Birth Abroad) completed but not signed.
  2. Non-refundable application fee. Fees are payable in cash (U.S. dollars or Uruguayan pesos) or by international credit card.  Checks and debit cards are not accepted.
  3. Parents’ proof of identity and citizenship.
  4. Child’s Uruguayan birth certificate.
  5. Sufficient proof of physical presence of the U.S. citizen parent(s) in the United States to demonstrate the Required Time Period (tax, medical, education records, etc.).
  6. Parents’ marriage/divorce certificate(s):
    • If the parents are married, please provide an original or certified copy of the marriage certificate.
    • If the parents were not married to each other at the time of the child’s conception, please provide proof of the existence of the relationship at that time.
  1. Pay the Report of Birth Abroad processing fee. For information about this fee email

Regardless of whether the parents were married to each other at the time of the child’s conception and birth, both parents should also provide divorce or annulment certificates for any prior marriages.

The Embassy encourages applicants to apply for a CRBA and passport at the same time, because the Consular Report of Birth Abroad is not a travel document.  A passport application for the same child requires a completed but not signed DS-11 form with one 5 cm x 5 cm color photo with a white background as well as the payment of the minor passport application fee. The application will be accepted at the CRBA appointment (there is no need to schedule an additional appointment).