Emergency Financial Assistance

U.S. citizens sometimes face financial emergencies while overseas. In most cases, family or friends can send money directly to a U.S. citizen overseas through Western Union. If needed, the Embassy can help receive and disburse funds to U.S. citizens. For detailed information about this service, please refer to the Department of State’s Sending Money to U.S. Citizens Overseas page.

Please note, the ACS Unit has no funds available for welfare services because the U.S. Congress does not provide funds to give or loan to U.S. citizens in need. In the event family and friends cannot provide financial assistance, U.S. citizens can apply for a repatriation loan to purchase a one-way ticket directly back to the United States. In these cases, citizens are required to sign a promissory note agreeing to repay the loan to the U.S. government.