Frequently Asked Questions

Yes. You can make an appointment and come to the U.S. Embassy. Please bring with you, the completed DS-82, a passport photo and your most recent passport. For more information please visit our Passport Renewal page.

Bring the completed application form (DS-11 or DS-82), a passport photo, your prior passport, birth certificate (for minors), and the passport fee. Depending on your circumstances you may be required to bring more documents. Please see our Passport pages for more info.

  • In color
  • Printed on matte or glossy photo quality paper
  • 2 x 2 inches (5×5 cm) in size
  • Sized such that the head is between 1 inch and 1 3/8 inches (between 25 and 35 mm) from the bottom of the chin to the top of the head.
  • Taken within the last 6 months to reflect your current appearance
  • Taken in front of a plain white or off-white background
  • Taken in full-face view directly facing the camera
  • With a neutral facial expression and both eyes open

For more information see the Department of State’s photo guidelines page


  • First time applicants and first time adult passports
  • Minors (15 years and younger)
  • If your last passport is damaged or over 15 years old
  • If you can’t present your last passport (lost or stolen)
  • If your name has changed and you do not have documentation from the US


  • Renewal passport applicants over the age of 16 who can present their last undamaged passport

Minors 16 and older do not need a parental signature for the passport application.

If one parent/guardian is unable to appear in person, then the DS-11 application must be accompanied by a signed, notarized Form DS-3053 (PDF, 44 KB): Statement of Consent from the non-applying parent/guardian.

If the minor only has one parent/guardian, evidence of sole authority to apply for the minor must be submitted with form DS-11.

For more information visit the info page for minor applicants

U.S. citizens that wish to get married in Uruguay must comply with Uruguayan regulations.  The office responsible for registering marriages in Uruguay is La Dirección General de Registro Civil (Civil Registry). The interested parties should register in the Registro Civil three months before the desired date. (e.g. if you wish to get married in December you should register in September)

Listed below are the documents you will need to register with the office of the Registro Civil:

  • The U.S. citizen must show proof of identity with an ID card (Cédula de Identidad) or a valid passport. You will need to have four witnesses who will need to show proof of identity also.
  • If the U.S. citizen has already established residency in Uruguay, he/she must show irrefutable proof of domicile (properties owned, rental contracts…)
  • If the U.S. citizen is divorced, he/she must show proof that the divorce is final, that it cannot be appealed or changed in any way and that it has been filed with the proper authorities in the U.S.  In most cases, the Uruguayan authorities will not accept a simple divorce certificate so you must have the final sentencing and judgment document from the court where the divorce was granted.  The document must have the Apostille* of the Hague Convention. It must be translated by an accredited public translator in Uruguay. Finally, the divorce certificate must be added to the Alien Registration (Registro de Extranjeros) or to the Marriage Certificate.
  • If the U.S. citizen is a widow you must provide the Death Certificate from your spouse and Marriage Certificate also with the Apostille*.

A U.S. citizen residing in the US can get married by proxy, as long as the partner and the person representing the U.S. citizen both reside in Uruguay. We would recommend you do further research and talk to a lawyer if this is what you choose to do.

*The Apostille is a way of legalizing documents internationally recognized by all countries that participate in the Hague Convention, including the U.S. and Uruguay.

The Apostille is not issued by the Department of State. Go to the National Association of Secretary of State website for information about how to obtain an Apostille in the different states within the U.S.

Visitors to Uruguay for pleasure or business under 90 days do not require a visa. For more information, please consult the Uruguayan Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

No. The legal purchase of marijuana in Uruguay is only for registered Uruguayan residents. Tourists are not eligible to apply for the program.

The exit tax from Uruguay is typically included in your airfare or cruise ticket. Check with your carrier for additional information.

Not generally. If the child is the beneficiary of, or eligible for federal benefits, please visit our Federal Benefits page.

If you are the parent of an U.S. citizen child in Uruguay and are seeking financial support from the other parent, please contact the child support enforcement agency in the state where the other parent resides, or in the state where your child was born or previously lived. A list of state child support agencies is available from the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. 

The state child support enforcement agency may be able to assist you in locating the parent in the United States, if necessary. In some cases, the agency will advise you to travel to that state, or to hire an attorney in that state, to assist you in obtaining a court order for child support. You may want to contact your own country’s Embassy or Consulate in the United States for a list of attorneys who could represent you.

For more information visit the Department of Health and Human Services’ Office of Child Support Enforcement.

While the Embassy does not provide scholarships we do have many resources for learning and teaching English on our website.

If you would like to import medicine that is not available on the local market you can work with a local customs broker on the procedure and requirements. A list of customs brokers can be found here.

The U.S. federal government does not maintain a database of vital records (birth certificates, marriage licenses, divorce decrees, death certificates). Copies of birth certificates can only be requested from the state where the certificate was initially filed.  Rules, ordering instructions and fees for all 50 states, the District of Columbia and all US possessions can be found on the Where to Write for Vital Records web page.

Individuals residing in Uruguay for more than one year are considered to be residents. In order to begin a legal residency process prior to your extended stay, please visit the Direccion Nacional de Identificacion Civil (DNIC).

For instructions on how to authenticate/apostille a U.S. public document for use in Uruguay, please see the website of the U.S. entity that issued the document. A list of these entities can be found here. You can also Visit the Authentications and Apostilles page on Travel.State.Gov 

For instructions on how to authenticate/apostille a Uruguayan public document for use in the United States, please contact the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (2902-1010) – Section: “Centro de Atención Ciudadana”.

The U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) agency recommends that minor children traveling to the United States without both their parents should have a signed statement by the not traveling parent authorizing travel along with a copy of the not traveling parent’s identification.  Please refer to the U.S. Customs and Border Protection Agency website for more information.

Airlines may have their own requirements regarding minor travel so you should also contact the airline with specific inquiries.  For questions about minor entry/exit in or out of Uruguay, please consult the Uruguayan Dirección Nacional de Migración: Phone:  152 1800 – Address: Misiones 1513.

If a child (under the age of 18) is traveling with only one parent or someone who is not a parent or legal guardian, what paperwork should the adult have to indicate permission or legal authority to have that child in their care?

Due to the increasing incidents of child abductions in disputed custody cases and as possible victims of child pornography, Customs and Border Protection (CBP) strongly recommends that unless the child is accompanied by both parents (traveling with grandparents, uncles or aunts, sisters or brothers, friends, or in groups) a notarized note signed by both parents stating “I acknowledge that my wife/husband/etc. is traveling out of the country with my son/daughter/group. He/She/They has/have my permission to do so.”

While CBP may not ask to see this documentation, if asked, and you do not have it, you may be detained until the circumstances of the child traveling without both parents can be fully assessed. If there is no second parent with legal claims to the child (deceased, sole custody, etc.) any other relevant paperwork, such as a court decision, birth certificate naming only one parent, death certificate, etc., would be useful.