Fiancé(e) Visa

The advantage of K visas is that they allow the engaged couple (and their minor children) to be together in the United States while completing the immigration process.

K1 Fiancé(e)

K-1 visas are for fiancées of U.S. citizens who plan to marry in the U.S. and then reside in the U.S. K-2 visas are for the minor children (under 21 years of age) of K-1 applicants who plan to live in the U.S. with their K-1 parent. For additional information, please visit this USCIS webpage.

K3 (Spouse)

K-3 visas are for spouses of U.S. citizens who wish to come to the United States and wait while they complete their immigration process. K-4 visas are for the minor children (under 21 years of age) of K-3 applicants who plan to live in the U.S. with their K-3 parent. For additional information, please visit this USCIS webpage.


  1. The U.S. Citizen must file an I-129F petition with USCIS on behalf of their fiancé beneficiary and wait for official notification from USCIS.
  2. Once USCIS has approved the petition, they will forward it to the U.S. Embassy in Montevideo through the National Visa Center. This process typically takes 6-8 weeks. The Embassy is generally unable to provide any assistance or information until the case file arrives in Montevideo.
  3. Upon receipt of the case file, the Embassy will send instructions to the beneficiary. The beneficiary must carefully read and follow the instructions.
  4. Schedule and complete the medical examination process with an Embassy-approved physician. As these examinations have limited validity, all beneficiaries should wait to schedule these appointments until specifically instructed to do so by the Embassy.
  5. Attend the interview, bringing with you all the required documentation, including the interview registration confirmation page and the fee payment receipt.


  • The K-1 visa permits the foreign-citizen fiancée to travel to the United States and marry the U.S. citizen sponsor within 90 days of arrival. The foreign citizen will then apply for adjustment of status to lawful permanent resident (LPR) with the Department of Homeland Security’s (DHS) U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). K-2 and K-4 (children of K1/K3) visas cannot be issued until the primary applicant parent has been issued a K-1 or K-3 visa.
  • If you’ve filed the petition with USCIS, but haven’t received a response, please check the status of your case on USCIS’s website, using your receipt number.
  • Once USCIS has approved the I-129F petition, it could take 6 to 8 weeks, before the case arrives to the Embassy in Montevideo, Uruguay.
  • When the case is received at the Embassy, we will send the beneficiary an instruction packet which details what documentation he/she must bring and the steps to follow..
  • Please read the important information regarding Rights and Protections for Foreign-Citizen Fiancé(e)s and Spouses of U.S. Citizens and Spouses of Lawful Permanent Residents.