Lost, Stolen, Expired or Lack of your Legal Permanent Residence Card (“Green Card”)

Legal Permanent Residents (LPR) who stayed outside of the United States for less than a year can apply for a boarding foil to return to the United States.

If you plan to file Form I-131A to apply for a LPR boarding foil, please note that you must pay the filing fee online on the USCIS website  before appearing in person at a consular section. Information on the new form and fee is located here. You must bring evidence of payment, in the form of a printed email receipt notice or confirmation page, when you appear in person to file Form I-131A. As with all immigration fees, USCIS does not issue refunds, regardless of the decision on the application.

Step by Step:

      1. Interview

        Schedule an appointment and select a DHL office where to pick up your passport after completing this process at: https://ais.usvisa-info.com/es-uy/iv
      2. Required documentation
On the day of your interview you must bring the following documentation to the Embassy:

        • Form I-131A completed and signed.
        • Fee payment confirmation (confirmation email or payment confirmation page, printed).
        • Valid passport.
        • Legal Permanent Resident card (when expired or deteriorated).
        • One 5×5 cm. color photo, taken recently, with front view and white background.
        • Police report explaining the circumstances under which the card was lost or stolen (if applicable).
        • If you’ve lost your passport, you must bring a Report of Entries and Exits to/from Uruguay, issued by the Dirección Nacional de Migración in Uruguay (Misiones 1513, Montevideo).
        • If you are a permanent resident in conditional status with a card valid for a two year period, you must have Form I-797 approved by the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), proving that you’ve filed a request for your conditional status to be removed.
      3.  Approval

        • If your boarding foil is approved, you will have to leave your passport in the Embassy.  Once the process is completed, you will have to pick it up at the DHL office that you’ve selected.